Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Having a good time figuring out this process...




So I decided to:

a) open an Etsy shop with my dearest
b)try using some "new" recycled materials
c) blog today.

Pictured here are some flat beads I made by melting together some shopping bags. These are the plain old white kind that you get at the grocer. I hope to find some of the more exciting colors, but alas, I am not much of a shopper. Sooo, if any of you are reading this and happen to have some colorful bags in your collection I would be much obliged...
I am quite pleased at my first attempt with the process. I came up with the technique after reading the etsy tutorial on fusing bags together to make strong sewable fabric from shopping bags. The top photo is the melted/formed billet on a silver melting stand i made for it, and the bottom is the slices that are intended to become jewelry. My next attempt will be using tubing so that they will have the silver center with a hole for both ease and appearance. I can't wait to try this with some colored bags. I am also eagerly anticipating building some jewelry with these recycled beads and getting them up on Etsy. I'm having fun building stuff.

I am also developing a means of production for some tin can bead jewelry. The picture of one of the beads that I am working uot the process for is already on our Etsy shop, but I am plannig to build jewelry out of them once I have my tooling all worked out. Excited about this too!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: